Bruxism is the dental term for the habit of teeth grinding or clenching. Many people grind or clench their teeth from time to time, often with little to no damage to the teeth or jaw. However, those who continually grind their teeth can cause serious damage to their teeth, and other oral health complications can arise.
Signs of Bruxism
Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
• Chronic jaw pain, facial pain, and ear pain
• Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
• Frequent tension headaches and migraines
• Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked, or very worn teeth
• Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
• Indentations on the side of the tongue
• Increased tooth sensitivity
Being fitted for an occlusal or night guard in Arlington, Virginia, by Dr. Duke Kim will help to protect your teeth. However, in order to cease teeth grinding completely, it is important to treat the triggers for why you grind or clench your teeth. If Dr. Duke Kim suspects that you suffer from bruxism, he may recommend a bite guard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent further teeth grinding while you sleep. A bite guard is a custom made appliance that is worn at night.
To learn more about bruxism and bite guard therapy options in Arlington, Virginia, we invite you to contact us today at 703-664-1969. Our team of dental professionals will answer any questions you have and schedule an appointment with Dr. Duke Kim to discuss your bruxism therapy options.