Dr. Duke Kim offers a variety of periodontal treatments and tools to care for your teeth and gums in Arlington, Virginia. Periodontal disease is a bacterial infection affecting your gum tissues. Periodontal disease affects nearly 3 out of 4 adults and is often under-diagnosed, yet is the leading cause of tooth loss.
Signs of Periodontal Disease
As periodontal diseases progress, the supporting gum tissue and bone that holds teeth in place deteriorate. Some early warning signs of periodontal disease may include:
- Red, swollen, and/or tender gums
- Bleeding gums
- Shifting or loose teeth
- Receding gums
- Bad breath
Periodontal Disease Treatments
Depending on the severity of you condition, Dr. Kim may recommend one or more of the following periodontal treatments to restore your oral health:
- Oral DNA Testing: With a small DNA sample and the help of the DNA testing lab, Dr. Kim can know exactly which harmful bacteria are in your mouth and provide proper treatment.
- Scaling and Root Planing: This is a deep cleaning around the tooth and under the gum line to remove plaque and calculus, which release the toxins that cause gum disease.
- Antibacterial Rinses: An anti-bacterial rinse may be prescribed to be used between visits and reduce the level of bacteria present in the mouth, especially for patients with persistent periodontitis.
- Gingivectomy: This procedure removes excess and diseased gums, and reduces pocket size to halt the progression of gum disease.
- LANAP® Laser Gum Treatment: A concentrated laser targets damaged tissue without removing healthy tissue. It can also reduce pocket depth and stop or slow attachment loss.
- Bone Grafting: If you have experienced bone loss, we can perform a bone graft to damaged areas of your jawbone. This will strengthen your bone and provide the support your teeth need.
- Periodontal Plastic Surgery: This involves a series of procedures that are designed to restore the shape and function of the gums and bone that support your teeth, such as evening the gum line, hiding exposed roots, and restoring the natural contour of your gums and jawbone.
- Ridge Augmentation: A ridge augmentation can restore the natural size and shape of your jawbone, typically before a dental implant or prosthesis is placed.
To learn more about periodontal therapy in Arlington, Virginia, we invite you to contact us today at 703-664-1969. Our team of dental professionals will answer any questions you have and schedule an appointment with Dr. Kim to access your periodontal condition.